George began as a large irrigation district between Quincy and Moses Lake. In the early 1950s, the need for a town to support the local agriculture business was evident, and the Bureau of Land Management agreed to 339 acres (1.37 km2) for this purpose. The sole bid was that of a local pharmacist, Charlie Brown, who invested his own money into the venture and solicited planning help from a University of Washington instructor. The plan included streets, utilities, etc.
When filing the papers for the town with the BLM, Brown decided that the town should be named after the first President of the United States, George Washington.
The citizens of the town have named their streets after varieties of cherries grown in the area, such as Bing and Royal Anne.
The town was officially incorporated on July 4, 1957, at a ceremony including Governor Albert Rosellini and a 1,000-pound (450 kg) cherry pie.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.33 square miles (3.44 km2), all of it land.